How Creative will you be with your Vegan Sandwich?
Creating a healthy, affordable, and delicious meal does not require a culinary degree. No, nutrition is not limited to a unique domain of individuals. I consider myself quite the amateur vegan in the kitchen; however, I have found it quite easy to create simple, healthy recipes that the entire family will enjoy. While this vegan tofu sandwich recipe is quite simple, it should still impress those family members who have not kicked the Standard American Diet (SAD).
If you are a not currently vegan and are transitioning to a plant based diet, introducing familiar foods like sandwiches can be an extremely helpful tactic to smooth the process. I mean who does not like a good hearty, healthy, crunch and savory sandwich? We guarentee if you feed this vegan tofu sandwich to your non-vegan friend, they will be delighted and devour the whole confection without taking a moment to breathe.
- 1 block firm tofu
- 2 radishes (sliced thin)
- 1 large portabella mushroom (sliced into strips)
- White onion (only need one slice)
- 2 whole wheat hamburger buns (Trader Joe’s rocks)
- Kale (1 large leaf)
- Vegenaise horseradish sauce
- Organic ketchup (no HFCS or preservatives)
- Fry the tofu in a pan with (minimal) olive oil until crispy on all edges
- Place the tofu on paper towels to allow excess oil to be drawn out.
- In the same pan (adding no more oil), sauté the slice of onion, sliced radishes, and portabella mushrooms.
- Time to construct your beautiful simple tofu sandwich! I put a little vegenaise horseradish sauce on both sides of the bun, ketchup on top, and kale to garnish. Kale is so much better than lettuce in terms of nutrition and crunchiness.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 450Total Fat: 4gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 6mgCarbohydrates: 3gNet Carbohydrates: 3gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 5g
We hope that you try our vegan tofu sandwich recipe. Please let us know your feedback or any modifications you make – the possibilities are endless and we full encourage experimentation.
If you want to check out some of our other vegan sandwich recipes you can browse our sandwich section or click any of the below recipes: