Our Carmelized Gluten-Free Vegan Jackfruit Tacos recipe is an explosion of flavor. Cooking your jackfruit in the oven, drenching with a sweet and savory sauce, gives you the ability for it to caramelize, boosting the flavors and added a slight crispnemakess at the edges. I recommend using Peppers in a Pickle as a topping here. They make the dish even more savory.
- 2 20-oz cans young green jackfruit in brine, drained, rinsed and shredded
- 1 tbsp grapeseed or olive oil
- Scant 1 tbsp minced fresh lemongrass
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ½ medium red onion, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp agave nectar
- 2 tsp reduced-sodium tamari
- 3 tbsp Fish-Free Sauce
- Cracked rainbow peppercorn
- 1 cup Savory Sweet
- Finishing Sauce
- 1 recipe Lime-y Broccoli (broccoli part only)
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Garnishes: Fresh cilantro leaves, sliced scallions, Peppers in a Pickle
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large rimmed
baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. In a large bowl,
fold to combine the jackfruit with the oil, lemongrass, garlic, onion, agave,
tamari, Fish-Free Sauce and peppercorn to taste. Place the jackfruit evenly on
the prepared sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Use two rubber spatulas to
stir and spread evenly. Bake another 15 minutes, then stir. Add the finishing
sauce on top and stir to combine. Spread evenly and bake for another 15 minutes.
Stir and bake for another 10 minutes, until caramelized but not overly dry. Be
careful not to burn. Turn off the oven and leave the pan in the oven until
ready to serve. While the jackfruit is baking, prepare the broccoli recipe.
- Heat the corn tortillas so that they are
pliable, then add a few florets of broccoli on top, along with about ⅓ cup of
jackfruit or whatever fits without falling out too easily. Top with cilantro,
scallions and peppers to taste. Drizzle a little pickled pepper brine on top.
- There might be leftovers of jackfruit and
broccoli. They can be stored in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up
to 3 days, then gently reheated and served in the form of bowls with your grain
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 261mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 8gSugar: 31gProtein: 6g