Craving a vegan sandwich and specifically some Umami flavor? Try out our Matcha Tempeh and Pickled Veggie Sandwiches recipe. Yes thats right, you will be making multiple sandwiches here for leftovers!
You may forget that you are even eating vegetables once you taste this insane sandwich. Tempeh happens to be one of my favorite vegan fermented foods for good protein and health.
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp brown rice vinegar or seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2½ tsp matcha powder
- ½ tsp smoked sea salt
- 8 oz tempeh, cut into
- 4 rectangles, then each rectangle cut into 2 thin rectangles
- FOR THE QUICK PICKLES
- 3 tbsp brown rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tsp coarse kosher salt
- 1 tsp coconut sugar or other sugar
- 1 baby bok choy, trimmed and chopped
- 1 large carrot, thickly shredded
- 5 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- FOR THE MAYO AND SANDWICHES
- ½ cup regular flavor Faba-lous Mayo or store-bought
- ½ tsp wasabi powder, or to taste
- 1½ tsp reduced-sodium tamari
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 8 slices sourdough or whole grain vegan bread, lightly toasted Fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- To make the tempeh, in a shallow
dish, whisk to combine the lemon juice, vinegar, oil, agave, garlic, matcha and
salt. Coat each tempeh rectangle with the marinade, and marinate for at least 1
hour in the refrigerator. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Place the tempeh on a
baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 8 minutes on each side. Set
aside to cool slightly or completely.
- To make the quick pickles, in a medium bowl, whisk to combine the vinegars, water, salt and sugar. Stir the bok choy, carrot, radishes, scallions and garlic into the mixture. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes in the refrigerator before use.
- To make the mayo, whisk the mayo, wasabi, tamari and garlic in a small bowl until well combined. Adjust the quantity of wasabi to taste, as its strength varies with each brand.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread 1 tablespoon of mayo on each slice of bread. Top 1 slice with 2 tempeh rectangles, the desired amount of drained pickled veggies and the cilantro (if
using). Top with the second slice. Repeat with the remaining 3 sandwiches.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 994Total Fat: 58gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 45gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 2320mgCarbohydrates: 92gFiber: 5gSugar: 14gProtein: 29g