These savory Pulled Vegan Jackfruit rolls will have you salivating at first smell. Jackfruit can be an intimidating fruit for a new Vegan to try and first sight and smell and creating familiar veganized dishes can come a long way. Here is what a Jackfruit looks like before it is cooked:
A jackfruit is a very healthy fruit that contains key macro and micronutrients for optimal human health. One jackfruit contains roughly 155 calories, 40 grams of carbs, 3 grams of fiber, 3 grams of protien, as well as Vitamin A, C, Riboflavin, Magnesium and Potassium, Copper and Manganese.
Check out the rest of our Vegan Sandwich Recipes like our Vegan Egg Salad sandwich and let us know which one you enjoyed the most! Who does not love a good sandwich!
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil or olive oil
- 1 bell pepper (any color), trimmed, cored and chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 medium red onion, trimmed, peeled and chopped
- 2 20-oz cans young green jackfruit in brine, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup Gochujang Paste or store-bought
- ⅓ cup organic ketchup
- 1½ tbsp agave nectar
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1½ tbsp reduced-sodium tamari
- 2 tbsp Mushroom Dashi
- ½ tsp Lapsang Souchong tea leaves (or ¼–½ tsp liquid smoke, to taste)
- 2 tsp Pickled Ginger , minced
- 8 vegan french bread rolls, lightly toasted
- Regular flavor Faba-lous Mayo or store-bought
- Garnishes: Shredded red cabbage, sliced English cucumber, sliced scallions, Asian Pear Pickles, lime wedges
- Place the oil, bell pepper, garlic and onion in a large pot. Heat on medium- high and
cook for 4 minutes, just to start releasing the flavors and to soften slightly.
Add the jackfruit, stirring to combine, and cook for another 2 minutes.
- In the meantime, whisk the gochujang paste, ketchup, agave, lime juice, tamari, dashi
and tea in a medium bowl. Pour onto the vegetables along with the ginger. Bring
to a low boil, stirring to combine. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook
for 1 hour, stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat as needed. Use a potato
masher or 2 forks to shred the jackfruit; be careful so as not to scrape and
damage the bottom of your pot.
- If preparing the day before, let the jackfruit mixture cool completely before
storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Slowly reheat in a pan on
medium heat the next day for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spread the desired amount of mayo on both sides of the toasted bread. Cover with the
desired amount of shredded cabbage. Divide the jackfruit preparation among all
the sandwiches. Top with cucumber slices, scallions and pickles to taste. Serve
immediately. I like to drizzle a little lime juice on top. This is a slightly
messy sandwich, so have napkins handy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 398Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 1409mgCarbohydrates: 79gFiber: 6gSugar: 45gProtein: 9g